Our History


old-wawonowin

Clubhouse 1896

clubhouse-20101

Clubhouse 2010

Wawonowin Country Club, established in 1896 by area mining executives was
originally located near downtown Ishpeming. The “old course” was forced to shut down
and re-locate in 1967 to its current location due to underground mining which caused
unsafe caving ground conditions.

  • Mining executives established Wawonowin in 1896
  • The name “Wawonowin” was chosen because of the howling winds which blew in the valley where the greens were located. Wawonowin is a Chippewa (Ojibwa) word that loosely translates as “Wind Through the Trees”
  • The current golf course replaced the former 60 acre Ishpeming Nelson Mine site in 1967-68 due to caving ground from mining activities
  • Wawonowin is a full service country club featuring 18 holes of challenging and enjoyable golf. Wawonowin is renowned for some of the best-kept greens in the U.P.
  • Wawonowin Country Club is owned and governed by its members. The front nine course and current clubhouse were designed and built by Wawonowin members
  • The back nine course was designed and built in the mid-1970’s. The last major course renovation was done in 1995 by the architectural firm Childs & Associates
  • Today, the 210 acre golf course is a paradise to approximately 300 members, and is home to an abundant variety of wildwood, wildlife, and green space.